Scrapping with the Rebs at Martinsburg

    The 8th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry is perhaps best remembered for its role in the opening moments of the Battle of Gettysburg where the regiment, as part of General John Buford's cavalry force, helped hold back Heth's Division for crucial hours on the morning of July 1, 1863 that allowed time for the arrival of the First Corps. The combat at Gettysburg was certainly intense, but as described in the letter below, it wasn't the first time the 8th Illinois Cavalry found itself in a tight spot.

    The author of the following letter is a mystery; it was published in the October 21, 1862 issue of the Belvidere Standard in Illinois, but the microfilm copy of the newspaper has bleed through from the first page that obscures the signed name or initials at the end of the letter such that I could not decipher who wrote it. Regardless, this trooper's account of an intense skirmish in northern Virginia in the days following the Battle of Antietam make for fascinating reading.

    The skirmish described by our mystery author occurred October 1, 1862 near Shepherdstown, Virginia when three Federal cavalry regiments made a reconnaissance in force across the Potomac River and ran into a nest of Confederate cavalry. The running fight lasted for miles as the Federal drove, and were then driven in turn by their opponents. The author was among those at the head of the column and found that they had pushed their luck too far. "The Rebels were visible on the crest of the hill. We gave them a volley from our carbines and they disappeared. We should have halted and waited until our skirmishers came up. But the captain started up the hill. I hesitated as I know we would catch hell up there and be sent back quicker than we ever went up, but I ordered the boys to keep well closed up and on we went," he wrote. "Just as we reached the brow of the hill a fire was opened on us from the right hand side of the road and from behind a ledge of rocks, stumps, and trees, and they were not 10 feet from my side when they fired. One ball passed just back of my leg and struck my horse just below the saddle pad, passing directly through him, and another through the neck between the wind pipe and spinal column, and the bullets whistled near and lively around me."

Keith Rocco's depiction of the 8th Illinois Cavalry assault at Ford Road during the Battle of Brandy Station in June 1863. (American Battlefield Trust

Sharpsburg, Maryland, October 3, 1862

    Dear Mother,

    They still keep us busy scouting across the Potomac River. The day before yesterday, the 3rd Indiana, 8th Pennsylvania, and our regiment (8th Illinois), with a couple of batteries of flying artillery crossed the river and drove the Rebels nine miles back from Shepherdstown and out of Martinsburg. We were fighting all the way more or less. Our regiment was in advance and our squadron was the advance guard and skirmishers. Twelve of our company and some five or six of Co. G were in the road and the remainder of the squadron was deployed as skirmishers on the right and left. We kept routing them from every position they took. 

    At one time, the road lay through an open section of country for about two miles before there was an advantageous position for them to rally upon. They passed over this road at the top of their speed with us after them. Soon we were half a mile ahead of our skirmishers who were unable to keep up on account of the fences, etc., and we were one mile ahead of the column. At this point, we were at the foot of a hill; on this side, the open field extended to the brow, and on the other side were woods, the road passing directly over the hill. The Rebels were visible on the crest of the hill. We gave them a volley from our carbines and they disappeared. We should have halted and waited until our skirmishers came up. But the captain started up the hill. I hesitated as I know we would catch hell up there and be sent back quicker than we ever went up, but I ordered the boys to keep well closed up and on we went.

    A few jumps of my horse brought me on the right side of the captain and just as we reached the brow of the hill a fire was opened on us from the right hand side of the road and from behind a ledge of rocks, stumps, and trees, and they were not 10 feet from my side when they fired. One ball passed just back of my leg and struck my horse just below the saddle pad, passing directly through him, and another through the neck between the wind pipe and spinal column, and the bullets whistled near and lively around me. But I was not idle. I had two revolvers and one was in my hand ready as we came up and I put three shots among the dismounted men of whom I saw a couple of dozen. By this time, the captain and men had checked their horses and started back; but my horse, being wounded, failed to mind the rein  as usual and passed over the hill!

The author? Potentially.
Sergeant Harrison Hakes of Co. B lived in Belvidere
after the war and was a member of Hurlbut Post, G.A.R.


    As far down as I could see, the road was full of cavalry just coming up for a charge in solid column. Using only my left hand to manage my horse, with the right I have them the remaining three charges from my first revolver and returning it to my holster, drew my second and gave them three shots from that. I had checked my horse and now wheeling him around, I have him rein and spur, and cleared the hill amid a perfect shower of pistol bullets and was soon at the foot of the hill. Here a few of the boys stopped to see what was the reason the Rebels did not come after them. Seeing that the Rebels were comin in solid column, they gave them a shot and went on. My horse was fast giving out. With quickness of though, I wheeled him square across the void, bringing my side to the Rebels. I gave them my three remaining charges of my second revolver. The first shot I fired was at the officer leading them. I either hit him or his horse judging from his actions. Two shots I fired into the column. It is impossible to avoid hitting someone when you fire into a solid column, particularly when they are within 20 feet of you. 

    The column slackened its pace and fired and began to rain the bullets down the road. Another struck my horse in the neck and they whistled right lively around me now I tell you. But I sped on, returning my revolver to its holster and drawing my saber and I was bound to give them the best I had if they caught up with us. A quarter of a mile further on, we reached our skirmishers and the men formed and checked Mr. Rebel. My big horse had all but bled to death and I shot him, took the halter and saddled a new one which I found nearby. I mounted it and joined the company and went on to Martinsburg. Then citizens told us that in a circuit of five miles, the Rebels had 10,000 cavalry under Stuart and Colonel Lee; we rushed our horses and started back. They rushed on us with a force of six regiments of cavalry; but our artillery made our rear too hot for them and they only followed us four miles. We reached camp at 8 p.m., losing four men prisoners who have since been paroled and 12 wounded coming back and 3 wounded going, making 15 wounded in our regiment.

Source: Belvidere Standard (Illinois), October 21, 1862, pg. 2


Comments

Most Popular Posts

Arming the Buckeyes: Longarms of the Ohio Infantry Regiments

Dressing the Rebels: How to Dye Butternut Jeans Cloth

Bullets for the Union: Manufacturing Small Arms Ammunition During the Civil War

The Cannons are Now Silent: The Field of Death of Tupelo

The Vaunted Enfield Rifle Musket

Straw Already Threshed: Sherman on Shiloh

Federal Arms in the Stones River Campaign

Escape of Captain Henry H. Alban of the 21st Ohio Infantry

Knapsack Compression: Wilbur Hinman recalls the first step of becoming a veteran

Federal Arms in the Chickamauga Campaign