Saying Goodbye to a Brother

    The pain of his mother's passing the previous September was still fresh in the mind of Captain Maschil Manring of the 56th Ohio when he was faced with a similarly painful task: to inform his widowed father that Maschil's brother George had been killed in the battle of Champion Hill, Mississippi on May 16, 1863. 

    "I overtook the regiment which was encamped two miles ahead at 8 after performing one of the most solemn duties of my life. The verse which I have often heard him sing comes to my mind frequently: 'If happy in my latest breath, I may but grasp his name.' It is not unreasonable to suppose that those very words were heard by his sainted mother, brothers, and sisters who have been at rest from all their toils for a long time. There is scarcely a moment that passes over my head but I think of them, " he wrote on May 18, 1863.

    Captain Manring's account of Champion Hill was published in the June 18, 1863 issue of the Gallipolis Journal

Jordan and Sarah Elizabeth Manring in an image dating from about 1860. Jordan had served as a captain during the War of 1812 and with Sarah raised a family of 13 children. Among those 13 children, at least three of them served during the Civil War including Abraham who served in Co. A of the 27th Ohio, while Maschil and George served in the 56th Ohio. Sarah died September 1, 1862 while Maschil and George were off to war with the 56th Ohio and Jordan died in October 1864 at the age of 74. (Find-A-Grave)


 

Edward’s Depot, Mississippi

May 18, 1863

Dear Father: 

I am called upon to perform the mournful task of informing you of the death of my dear brother George W. Manring who was killed in battle on the evening of the 16th of May near this place. The circumstances were as follows:

The fighting commenced about 8 o’clock in the morning and Company A was thrown forward as skirmishers. We fought till 10 o’clock in this manner, driving the enemy’s pickets to his line of battle which he had formed on an eminence. I then ordered a retreat and informed the commanding general where the enemy’s lines were formed in order of battle.  We were immediately formed and ordered forward. The engagement soon became general. The portion of the enemy’s lines which our regiment engaged was formed along a line of fence in front of an open field containing about 40 acres. After a half hour’s hard fighting we started the enemy back, driving him beyond the field into the timber. We advanced across the field and made a stand at the fence where we maintained our position for about half an hour.

Captain Maschil Manring
Co. A, 56th Ohio Volunteer Infantry

In the meantime, the enemy was being heavily reinforced. The 28th Iowa being on our left gave way and fell back without making a stand. In their retreat we discovered the enemy coming both in our front and on each flank with a force of not less than ten times our number. We fell back about 100 yards and made a stand right in an open field. Here we checked their center, but the regiments on our right and left having retreated too hastily, we were compelled to fall back being flanked both on our right and left. We made another stand in the field and tried to check the enemy who were advancing on us in four columns, and here is where my dear brother fell. He was shot twice, once in the right temple and once in the left side of his chest. The only word he uttered after he was struck by a ball was “Oh, Jesus.” He died instantly. This was about 3 o’clock in the afternoon. My first impression was to stay with him, but considering that if I did so I would be taken prisoner or killed and thus the place of burial and history of the death of my brother would be forever lost to his friends, I concluded to rejoin the regiment which had retreated about 100 yards beyond me, leaving me about half way between the Rebels who were pursuing us and my own regiment.

We tried to make a stand at the fence but were too closely pursued by a superior force. We fell back to a ridge beyond the fence and made a stand and held the enemy in check until we were reinforced. It was now about half past 3 in the afternoon. At 4 we succeeded in routing the enemy completely. I went immediately to the place where I left my brother. The Rebels had taken everything out of his pockets except a little blank book. They took his watch and all his money, also his revolver, leaving his sword. Our regiment was ordered forward in pursuit of the retreating enemy, but I got permission to stay and take care of my brother.

Sergeant Samuel J. Blake, Corporal Atius L. Blake, and Andrew J. McPhail of my company stayed with me and assisted me in giving him and others of the company as decent a burial as the circumstances would admit of. I had him conveyed to a shade by the side of a road, washed him, then selected the place for his burial and set three men to digging his grave. I lay by his side on the battlefield all that night. Early next morning we finished the grave. I had him carried to it and after impressing two kisses upon his cold temple-one for his aged father and one for myself- I had him laid in his cold, silent resting place. I covered him up, and after uttering a brief prayer that his remains might not be molested till such time as they could be moved to Ohio, I left the grave. This was at 7 o’clock in the morning.

I overtook the regiment which was encamped two miles ahead at 8 after performing one of the most solemn duties of my life. I shall never forget the manner in which he uttered the last sentence, so familiar as though he was addressing a friend. I have no doubt but they were the very words that he entered the final resting place of all the good that have passed on before him. It is not unreasonable to suppose that those very words were heard by his sainted mother, brothers, and sisters who have been at rest from all their toils for a long time. 

Vicksburg National Cemetery

There is scarcely a moment that passes over my head but I think of them. The verse which I have often heard him sing comes to my mind frequently: “If happy in my latest breath, I may but grasp his name.” Surely if there was any person that was in possession of all the virtues possessed in life, it was him. I never knew him to be at fault in any instance. There was no officer that knew him but respected him. All the men of the company loved him as they did a brother. He always did his duty well; his affections were divided between his God, his country, and his friends. If I ever get home I intend to come after him. I wish you to select a place for his burial near where mother is buried, as I believe it would be his choice to be buried by her side.

Lieutenant George W. Manring is buried at Vicksburg National Cemetery. 

Sources:

Letter from Captain Maschil Manring, Co. A, 56th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Gallipolis Journal (Ohio), June 18, 1863


Comments

Most Popular Posts

Arming the Buckeyes: Longarms of the Ohio Infantry Regiments

Dressing the Rebels: How to Dye Butternut Jeans Cloth

Bullets for the Union: Manufacturing Small Arms Ammunition During the Civil War

The Cannons are Now Silent: The Field of Death of Tupelo

The Vaunted Enfield Rifle Musket

Straw Already Threshed: Sherman on Shiloh

Federal Arms in the Stones River Campaign

Escape of Captain Henry H. Alban of the 21st Ohio Infantry

Knapsack Compression: Wilbur Hinman recalls the first step of becoming a veteran

Federal Arms in the Chickamauga Campaign