Bearing the Stars and Stripes at Vicksburg

Color Sergeant Jerry Hollinshead of the 68th Ohio had much to be proud of as he wrote from outside Vicksburg on May 26, 1863. "Within the 30 days since we left our old camp, we have marched 200 miles and fought five battles, whipping the Rebels every time," he reported home. " We whipped them at Jackson (the state capitol) in two hours and the next day started for Vicksburg where we found the enemy in great force at Champion Hills; this is where I got wounded slightly on my left side, but still I kept the old flag of our country waving." 

    But the Confederate garrison, now hemmed into Vicksburg by thousands of Federal troops, remained a dangerous opponent as Hollinshead discovered. "The Rebels sent a flag of truce for four hours. It was fun. We all threw down our guns on both sides and talked as friendly as anyone could, and today we are shooting at each other. It looks so queer to be shaking hands with each other and now shooting at each other. I saw some of my old acquaintances that used to be in New Orleans. We had quite a chat about old times, I tell you. Our regiment is detailed as sharpshooters. I stuck up the old Stars and Stripes this morning and they shot it full of holes," he wrote. 

    Sergeant Hollinshead's letter, first saw publication in the June 26, 1863 edition of the Bucyrus Journal newspaper. 


Sergeant Hollinshead's company commander was Captain William F. Williams of Co. D shown above, but as regimental color sergeant Hollinshead's place in line was in the center of the regiment with the other members of the color guard. During the fierce fighting at Champion's Hill, Hollinshead suffered a minor wound but kept the Stars and Stripes aloft throughout the engagement.
(Henry Welty Album, courtesy of Pam Welty)


Rear of Vicksburg, Mississippi

May 26, 1863

 

          We are two miles from the Mississippi River and have got all the Rebels surrounded and will take all of them prisoners or else kill them. Their force is estimated at 30,000 men. This is the 8th day that we have been fighting the Rebels. We have driven them all inside their works and will starve them out and make them come out and fight us fair.

          Within the 30 days since we left our old camp, we have marched 200 miles and fought five battles, whipping the Rebels every time. We whipped them at Jackson (the state capitol) in two hours and the next day started for Vicksburg where we found the enemy in great force at Champion Hills; this is where I got wounded slightly on my left side, but still I kept the old flag of our country waving. We have endured all that a soldier could but without a murmur and you can tell those Copperheads that they must keep a lookout for these soldiers when they come home.

          I must tell you what happened yesterday. The Rebels sent a flag of truce for four hours. It was fun. We all threw down our guns on both sides and talked as friendly as anyone could, and today we are shooting at each other. It looks so queer to be shaking hands with each other and now shooting at each other. I saw some of my old acquaintances that used to be in New Orleans. We had quite a chat about old times, I tell you. Our regiment is detailed as sharpshooters. I stuck up the old Stars and Stripes this morning and they shot it full of holes.

Your views on the war is what I love to hear, but the views of some of these Copperheads I scorn as I would the vilest monster on earth. I will tell you what I think about this matter. I say if we can crush this rebellion by sending Negroes in the field, do so at once. Whatever Old Abe says I will endorse for I believe he wants to put down this unholy war. And I am who will stick to him as long as he is our president. The soldiers are all in excellent spirits and in good health and they all say woe unto the Butternut democracy.

I am a Democrat or was before I left home but thank God I am not now. I am a soldier and will die a soldier before I will come home with the Southern Confederacy recognized.

 

Source:

Letter from Sergeant Jerry Hollinshead, Co. D, 68th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Bucyrus Journal (Ohio), June 26, 1863, pg. 1

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Arming the Buckeyes: Longarms of the Ohio Infantry Regiments

Dressing the Rebels: How to Dye Butternut Jeans Cloth

Bullets for the Union: Manufacturing Small Arms Ammunition During the Civil War

The Cannons are Now Silent: The Field of Death of Tupelo

The Vaunted Enfield Rifle Musket

Straw Already Threshed: Sherman on Shiloh

Federal Arms in the Stones River Campaign

Escape of Captain Henry H. Alban of the 21st Ohio Infantry

Knapsack Compression: Wilbur Hinman recalls the first step of becoming a veteran

Federal Arms in the Chickamauga Campaign