Up to my elbows in blood: A Louisiana Surgeon Amidst the Seven Days

Writing to his father and fellow doctor Warham Cromwell back in Columbus, Georgia on June 29, 1862, while still on the march near Richmond, Virginia, Surgeon Benjamin M. Cromwell of the 3rd Louisiana Battalion described the extreme fatigue wrought after four continuous days of surgical work during Lee’s Seven Days campaign.

          “I say I am broken down as you will understand why when I tell you I have been up all day and very nearly all night for four days and nights attending to and operating on the wounded,” he wrote. “I suppose I must have given my personal attention to upwards of 80 wounded men, up to my elbows in blood at the time. My division is now in pursuit but I need a little rest.”

          Surgeon Cromwell, born September 22, 1835, in New Orleans, graduated with honors from the University of Medicine in New York in 1857 and was practicing in Albany, Georgia when the war broke out. He saw extensive service in the Army of Northern Virginia, serving as surgeon in no less than 6 regiments at one time or another and was present at Appomattox. His letter describing the opening days of the Seven Days campaign first saw publication in the July 5, 1862, edition of the Columbus Daily Sun in Georgia.

 

Louisiana state militia button featuring a pelican feeding its young.
(Army of Tennessee Relics)

On the march [near Richmond, Virginia]

June 29, 1862

My dear father,

          I know your anxiety about Noll and myself and though I am broken down almost by the successive events of the past four days and nights, I will write a line to say that I am safe and well, though much fatigued.

          On Thursday, our division (Major General Hill’s) crossed the Chickahominy and in the afternoon met the enemy in their entrenchments near the Mechanicsville Road and after several efforts drove them out at the point of the bayonet. We pursued the next day and, being reinforced by Generals Longstreet and Stonewall Jackson (the latter late in the evening) after a desperate struggle drove them again from their strongest position, capturing 4,000 prisoners and 24 pieces of artillery. [This engagement was the Battle of Gaines’ Mill fought June 27, 1862.]

          Yesterday we were not engaged as other fresh troops took our place. Today, our forces attacked them again, routing them and capturing a number of prisoners. They are now in full retreat towards (it is thought) the James River. We are pursuing all the time. We have cut off their supplies and communications though I am not sure that it has been complete. I think we will capture the greater part of their army.

          I say I am broken down as you will understand why when I tell you I have been up all day and very nearly all night for four days and nights attending to and operating on the wounded. I suppose I must have given my personal attention to upwards of 80 wounded men, up to my elbows in blood at the time. My division is now in pursuit but as I need a little rest, I take the advantage of Captain Dillingham’s tent to write you this.

          I cannot correctly estimate our loss and will, therefore, not give it if it is less than I at first thought. The enemy suffered most. Their wounded suffered terribly from privation.

Your affectionate son,

Benj. M. Cromwell

Surg., 3rd Louisiana Battalion

Source:

Letter from Surgeon Benjamin Mellichamp Cromwell, 3rd Louisiana Battalion, Columbus Daily Sun (Georgia), July 5, 1862, pg. 1


Comments

Most Popular Posts

Arming the Buckeyes: Longarms of the Ohio Infantry Regiments

Dressing the Rebels: How to Dye Butternut Jeans Cloth

Bullets for the Union: Manufacturing Small Arms Ammunition During the Civil War

The Vaunted Enfield Rifle Musket

Straw Already Threshed: Sherman on Shiloh

Charging Battery Robinett: An Alabama Soldier Recalls the Vicious Fighting at Corinth

In front of Atlanta with the 68th Ohio

A Fight for Corn: Eight Medals of Honor Awarded at Nolensville

Federal Arms in the Stones River Campaign

The Legend of Leatherbreeches: Hubert Dilger in the Atlanta Campaign