A Mixed-Up Mess of Confusion: At South Mountain with the 6th Wisconsin

Writing from a hospital bed in Washington, D.C. three weeks after his regiment’s fight at Turner’s Gap, John Costigan of the 6th Wisconsin recalled “the affair was a mixed-up mess of confusion. We fought on the brow of a steep hill among rocks and logs and all sorts of obstructions. The enemy tried to flank us when Colonel [Edward S.] Bragg yelled to change front forward on the first company.”

“I could hear the Rebel brigadier holler “Shoot low, prick the toenails of the damned Yankees!” The bullets flew like hail among us and sounded like bees swarming. The Rebels made me a present of three pieces of lead a little above the right knee. It tickled some, I assure you. I dug out one chunk with my jackknife the next day,” Costigan stated.

          Costigan’s letter first appeared in the October 15, 1862, edition of the Daily Milwaukee News.

 

The 6th Wisconsin held the right flank of the Iron Brigade's attack at Turner's Gap, all while under the personal observation of General George McClellan who praised the attack in a letter to Wisconsin governor Edward Salomon. "I have seen them under fire acting in a manner that reflects the greatest possible credit and honor upon themselves and their state," McClellan noted. "They are equal to the best troops in any army in the world." This dramatic depiction of the 6th Wisconsin charging Turner's Gap was painted by H. Charles McBarron, Jr. for the U.S. Army. 

Emory Hospital, Washington, D.C.

October 3, 1862

          Writing letters these days with soldiers is about played out. For the last three months, I would rather take a whipping than write a line. To begin with, I was wounded on the 14th ultimo at South Mountain, Maryland. The Rebels made me a present of three pieces of lead a little above the right knee. It tickled, some I assure you. I dug out one chunk with my jackknife the next day.

          We fought on the brow of a steep hill among rocks and logs and all sorts of obstructions. The enemy tried to flank us when Colonel [Edward S.] Bragg yelled to change front forward on the first company. I could hear the Rebel brigadier holler “Shoot low, prick the toenails of the damned Yankees!” The bullets flew like hail among us and sounded like bees swarming. The battle at Gainesville was a much longer one. Then I shot off my musket 46 times; that was the place the Rebels caught the lead and steel.

I assisted my comrades all I could who were very badly wounded and, I am sorry to say, there were too many of the latter class. A Rebel officer who was prisoner of two of the 19th Indiana boys was passing by me just then. I hailed them, they came back and crutched me along at a lively rate. I carelessly, however, asked the one I was leaning my left arm on what regiment he belonged to, and he told me he belonged to the 23rd North Carolina! I thought I was sold sure, till the Indiana soldier relieved me by saying that the officer was a prisoner. [Editor note- wondering that this might actually be the 23rd Georgia which was at Turner's Gap.] 

Colonel (later brigadier) Edward S. Bragg
6th Wisconsin Infantry

Only a few Rebel prisoners were taken up that night and the affair was a mixed-up mess of confusion. We were placed in a barn that night- the Rebel wounded were taken care of as well as the Federals. From thence we moved to Middletown in ambulances and got comfortable quarters in the Lutheran church. It had very good cushions on the seats which made very good beds- quite a luxury to some of us- amputation was going on all the time; legs and arms lay in the lobbies in piles. Joe Eubanks lay close to me and looked pale- he was shot in the breast (flesh wound) and in his hand. He was not removed when I was.

The wounded of my company include Sergeants Gallagher, Kerr, and Keogh; Corporals Dunn, Carpenter, May, and Privates Leroy Fowler, Josiah Fowler, Jim Clark, Frank Clark, Riley, Myers, McIntosh (slightly), Spears, and McInzie. Killed are Frank Arnold, H.M. Dunning, Ferdinand Eversol, Avery, and Perkins; must I add Sergeant Dick Montgomery, the brightest man of those mentioned. At the suggestion of McIntosh, I wrote his name on a piece of board and placed it at his head that his friends may find him easily should they seek his remains. We will miss him very much as he managed all our company affairs so correctly.

Frank Bell was transferred to a battery the day before the fight; I know not whether he got hit or not. We were moved to Frederick City and from there to Washington; some of our company are in Baltimore and some in the Capitol. I suppose you know that they use the big building as a hospital. The building I am placed in is one of a long range of frame buildings known as the Pennsylvania Cavalry Barracks just outside the corporation of Washington. We get good usage; lady visitors attend us every day and bring us nice little presents every time. The night before last, my leg pained me very much but, since then, it feels decidedly better; so much so, that I shall in a few minutes pick up my crutch to go witness a grand review just now before the door.  

For John Costigan, the war was over as he would be discharged for disability on February 4, 1863. A native of Ireland, Costigan would eventually reside at the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in Hampton, Virginia where he died May 6, 1889, at the age of 64.

Source:

Letter from Private John J. Costigan, Co. D, 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Daily Milwaukee News (Wisconsin), October 15, 1862, pg. 1

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Arming the Buckeyes: Longarms of the Ohio Infantry Regiments

Dressing the Rebels: How to Dye Butternut Jeans Cloth

Bullets for the Union: Manufacturing Small Arms Ammunition During the Civil War

The Vaunted Enfield Rifle Musket

In front of Atlanta with the 68th Ohio

Straw Already Threshed: Sherman on Shiloh

Globules of Adipose Pomposity: Top 11 Worst Buckeye Colonels of the Civil War

Charging Battery Robinett: An Alabama Soldier Recalls the Vicious Fighting at Corinth

Federal Arms in the Stones River Campaign

Revisiting Snodgrass Hill: Memories of a 21st Ohio Officer